Chronology of the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown
1754 Fort Duquesne is founded and the Shrine of Our Lady of the Alleghenies is built.
1770 Demetrius Gallitzin is born on December 22 at the Hague, Netherlands.
1785 Capt. Michael McGuire settles his family at McGuire’s Settlement, near what became Loretto.
1787 Gallitzin is converted from the Russian Orthodox Church to Roman Catholicism; Patrick Cassidy settles in Newry.
1792 Gallitzin sails to the United States from Rotterdam on August 18. On November 5, Demetrius enters the Sulpician Seminary in Baltimore under the name Augustine Schmet (Smith).
1794 First Settlement established at Johnstown.
1795 Ordination of Gallitzin on March 18 by Bishop John Carroll. He is posted to the Conewago Mission in Pennsylvania. While there, he answers a sick call to McGuire’s Settlement.
1799 Bishop Carroll appoints Father Smith Pastor of McGuire’s Settlement. On December 25, Father Smith celebrates Midnight Mass in the newly- constructed Saint Michael’s Church.
1800 Baptism of the first infant born in McGuire’s Settlement – Joseph Bradley, son of Charles and Mary Bradley. Around this time, Father Smith established the community of Loretto, in honor of the Shrine of Our Lady in Loreto, Italy.
1802 Father Smith becomes a naturalized citizen of the United States.
1808 Bishop John Carroll is proclaimed by Pius VII the first Archbishop of Baltimore. The Diocese of Philadelphia is established, with Michael Egan as its first Bishop.
1809 Father Smith receives legal permission to resume the use of his real name, Rev. Demetrius Gallitzin.
1811 Bishop Egan visits Loretto and confirms 198 of Gallitzin’s parishioners.
1815 Death of Archbishop John Carroll, Archbishop of Baltimore and architect of the Catholic Church in the United States.
1816 Gallitzin publishes his Defense of Catholic Principles. Saint Patrick Church in Newry is constructed and becomes the second parish in the area.
1817 Gallitzin constructs a second, large-frame church at Loretto. Gallitzin’s sister, Marianne, marries and so deprives her brother of his rightful inheritance.
1819 Gallitzin publishes An Appeal to the Protestant Public in reply to Vindication of the Doctrines of the Reformation.
1820 Gallitzin publishes A Letter to a Protestant Friend on the Holy Scriptures.
1823 Around this time, Gallitzin is appointed Vicar General of Western Pennsylvania.
1829 Rev. Patrick Rafferty is appointed Assistant Pastor to Gallitzin.
1832 Gallitzin oversees construction of a larger house and adjoining chapel, the present Prince Gallitzin Chapel House.
1834 Gallitzin is thrown from his horse and suffers an injury to his leg; the injury is complicated by a hernia from which Galltizin never recovers. Rev. Peter Lemcke is appointed assistant.
1835 Johnstown’s first parish is established – Saint John Gualbert.
1836 Gallitzin publishes The Bible: Truth and Charity.
1840 Rev. Demetrius Gallitzin dies on May 6; Gallitzin is buried on May 9.
1841 Saint Mary Parish, Hollidaysburg, is founded.
1843 Creation of the Pittsburgh Diocese by Pope Gregory XVI.
1847 Gallitzin’s remains are exhumed and moved to a vault outside the church entrance. Franciscan friars arrive at Loretto from Ireland and establish Saint Francis School for Boys.
1848 Sisters of Mercy arrive in Loretto.
1849 The city of Altoona is founded.
1853 Sisters of Mercy establish the Saint Aloysius School for Girls. The city of Altoona receives its first resident pastor, Father John Tuigg.
1854 The third church is built at Loretto; it is constructed of brick and dedicated by Saint John Neumann, Bishop of Philadelphia.
1860 Immaculate Conception Church (“Old Saint Marys”) in Altoona is built for German Catholics.
1869 Sisters of Saint Joseph establish a foundation at Ebensburg.
1870 At the invitation of Father Tuigg, four Sisters of Charity arrive in Altoona from Cincinnati to establish a community in Altoona and teach in his school.
1876-77 The Diocese of Allegheny has its brief life.
1889 The Johnstown Flood brings massive devastation and death. Saint John Gualbert Church is destroyed in a fire.
1899 Centennial of the founding of Loretto. Archbishop John Ireland, of St. Paul, Minnosota, dedicates the enlarged and expanded tomb of Rev. Gallitzin. Charles Schwab donates funds and makes possible the construction of the fourth church at Loretto, the present Saint Michael’s.
1901 Completion of the present Basilica of Saint Michael the Archangel. The Diocese of Altoona ie established by Pope Leo XIII. Bishop Eugene Garvey is named its first Bishop.
1909 Saint John’s Orphanage is opened.
1910 Mercy Hospital, Johnstown, is opened by the Sisters of Mercy.
1912 Bishop Garvey opens an ecclesiastical seminary at Loretto.
1917 Saint Mary’s Orphanage is opened and run by the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
1920 Bishop John J. McCort becomes the second Bishop of Altoona.
1924 Groundbreaking is held for the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament.
1926 Bishop McCort invites Discalced Carmelite Nuns from France to establish a community in the Altoona Diocese.
1930 Carmelite Monastery of Loretto is completed with funds donated by Charles Schwab. Bishop McCort launches program to assist the many victims of the Great Depression.
1931 The Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament is dedicated.
1934 Bishop McCort establishes The Catholic Register, the Diocesan newspaper.
1935 Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth assume management of Mercy Hospital, Altoona.
1936 Bishop Richard T. Guilfoyle becomes the third Bishop of Altoona. Another flood devastates Johnstown.
1939 Mount Aloysius Junior College is founded by the Sisters of Mercy.
1940 A pageant is held in honor of Rev. Gallitzin; it follows a Pontifical Mass celebrated by Bishop Guilfoyle.
1942 A fire destroys the principal building of Saint Francis College; included in the damage was virtually the entire Gallitzin library of 200 irreplaceable books.
1946 By this year, Bishop Guilfoyle confirmed more than 29,000 young people and ordained 108 priests.
1951 The Shrine of Our Lady of the Alleghenies is dedicated by Bishop Guilfoyle.
1957 The Diocese of Altoona is renamed the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown. Saint John Gualbert Church becomes Co-Cathedral. Bishop Howard J. Carroll becomes the fourth Bishop of Altoona-Johnstown.
1958 A fire destroys the 45,000 volume library at Saint Francis College.
1959 Bishop Carroll officiates at the groundbreaking of a new Franciscan major seminary in Loretto.
1960 Bishop Carroll McCormick becomes the fifth Bishop of Altoona-Johnstown.
1962-65 Bishop McCormick attends Vatican Council II.
1966 Bishop James Hogan is appointed sixth Bishop of Altoona-Johnstown.
1970 Bicentennial of Rev. Gallitzin’s birth is celebrated.
1971 The Carmelite Community of the Word is founded.
1979 Saint Francis Seminary, Loretto, closes its doors.
1987 Bishop Joseph V. Adamec becomes the seventh Bishop of Altoona-Johnstown; he is the first Bishop ordained in the Diocese. The Co-Cathedral of Saint John Gualbert is consecrated Saint John Gualbert Cathedral.
1989 The 100thAnniversary of the Johnstown Flood.
1990 The 150thAnniversary of the death of Rev. Gallitzin. The Prince Gallitzin Cross Award is established by Bishop Adamec.
1991 Mount Aloysius Junior College becomes a four-year college.
1996 Saint Michael the Archangel Church is designated a Minor Basilica by Pope John Paul II.
1999 Bicentennial celebration of the founding of Saint Michael Parish by Prince Gallitzin and the birth of Loretto. The relics of Saint Therese of Lisieux visit the Diocese. Bishop Adamec dedicates the Prince Gallitzin House in Mandeville, Jamaica.
2000 The Church celebrates the Jubilee Year.
2001 The 100thAnniversary of the founding of the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown.
2010 Bishop Adamec blesses the Papal Insignia at the Basilica of Saint Michael the Archangel in Loretto.
2011 Bishop Mark L. Bartchak is ordained and installed as the eighth Bishop of Altoona-Johnstown
2013 The Diocese marks the conclusion of the Diocesan Phase of the Cause for Canonization of the Servant of God Demetrius Gallitzin.
2016 Catholic elementary schools in the Altoona and Johnstown areas regionalize into one school with three campuses.